During dinner.
Once again, I feel myself overruled by the sensibleness of friends.
I'd unbosomed to Minzhi my plans for drama school after that bond which keeps me pale. She desolated me thus: No post-grad? But your scripts will be so shallow!
Already fragile over being hornswoggled of gherkins (more on that anon), I broke down readily under Minzhi's superior logic: I'd need far broader and deeper resources than I do now if I am to do anything at all tolerably. Not just to write: but to quicken writing into the other life of theatre.
I will need practical training in stagecraft, certainly; immersion in the industry, absolutely. But more than that, I think, I will need the vastness of canon and the depths of history; I'll need a true poetic feeling, Matthew Arnold tells me, though not in person. And for that, Minzhi concluded, I'll need Erudition.
So will I need to learn more languages? I asked in a small voice. Minzhi, like a shark scenting blood, lunged in for the kill: At least three more.
Where will I get the time? I feebled, but capitulating desperately in truth.
Splitting my resolve like bamboo: let's start you on declensions now.
I leapt off the bus at that point, but she knew she had her stingers in deep: I'm showing her my Teach Yourself Latin I got in York in one of my frequent fits of bimbotism when next I see her.
I'd unbosomed to Minzhi my plans for drama school after that bond which keeps me pale. She desolated me thus: No post-grad? But your scripts will be so shallow!
Already fragile over being hornswoggled of gherkins (more on that anon), I broke down readily under Minzhi's superior logic: I'd need far broader and deeper resources than I do now if I am to do anything at all tolerably. Not just to write: but to quicken writing into the other life of theatre.
I will need practical training in stagecraft, certainly; immersion in the industry, absolutely. But more than that, I think, I will need the vastness of canon and the depths of history; I'll need a true poetic feeling, Matthew Arnold tells me, though not in person. And for that, Minzhi concluded, I'll need Erudition.
So will I need to learn more languages? I asked in a small voice. Minzhi, like a shark scenting blood, lunged in for the kill: At least three more.
Where will I get the time? I feebled, but capitulating desperately in truth.
Splitting my resolve like bamboo: let's start you on declensions now.
I leapt off the bus at that point, but she knew she had her stingers in deep: I'm showing her my Teach Yourself Latin I got in York in one of my frequent fits of bimbotism when next I see her.