To Minzhi.
O honey: what a lovely thing to find! Except it is also really sad. You look at yourself at 19, and think, oh god you lucky bastard you're going to have so much fun at York! And now at 24, you've had all the fun, and paying for it. You look at yourself at 19, and think, wow you've had two years of seeing one another almost everyday, wasn't it fun? You're going to miss it more than you think when you're 24. And you are 24. Going somewhere is so much more fun than arriving, having arrived! And if 19 seems so far away, 14 is farther still, and I'm thinking of the waiting at the grubby bus-stop outside the cemetery after French for the bus that will bring you back to Hougang, and you showed me the Dead Poets' Epitaph for the first time, and I was just starting to learn how to read your handwriting, so I laughed at Addy's poem in Japanese instead. What are we going to do when we turn thirty, when you've finished your PhD, and we our bond?