Poetry slam.


They don't even have the excuse of being merely stupid. It's more like hysteria: the hysteria that comes from being fans of something or the other, I mean. After reading enough Virginia Woolf / Sylvia Plath / Sara Kane, people start to feel they can't be real women without being oppressed / effaced / mutilated. I think asian writers even (secretly) resent that they are not illiterate and do not have bound feet. I am reminded of how people used to see devils because they had read the Malleus Maleficarum; I am also reminded of this documentary about how some psychoanalysts somehow convinced their patients that they had been abused as children.

It is (literary) escapism, but of a very perverse sort: these writers screw themselves into worlds that are worse than which they leave behind - not in search of some sort of purgation-through-pain, hope at the bottom of the box, etc - but in intolerance of happiness. It's like those people who insist on having perfectly sound limbs amputated - yes, yes, body dysmorphia, hypochodria, these are afflictions in need of treatment - which brings me to my point: shouldn't we bring these writers in for at least a good slap, rather than letting them run amok?